Pages

Sad State

It is a very sad situation we are in right now, given the present economic problem.

It is getting more and more difficult to attain the rank of Nouveau Riche these days. Even if you've finished an impressive sounding college course and used up most of your parent's savings in the process, you'll find that jobs are not as easy to come by as they once were. A lot of bright, young people who had dreams of being Nouveau Riche now find themselves settling for jobs beneath their qualifications, because they just need a job, any job.

My grandfather was a poor Chinese immigrant who came to the Philippine shores shortly before the Japanese occupation. He was one of those who actually succeeded in his business after the war. I do not know if he is among the rank of the Nouveau Riche Chinese, as he is not as well known as the Gokongweis, the Tans, and the Sys of SM. Nevertheless, he was able to fulfill his mission and reason for crossing the seas to the Philippines -- to find a better life for his family.

One of the reasons why I'm taking up Hospital Administration is because I'm trying to study the real workings behind the organization. Medicine is very idealistic and scientific, and it doesn't teach you things like return of interest, balance sheets, etc., which is actually very important so that your enterprise would not be a losing proposition. It's sad but it's only after I've finished Medicine that I realize that the reason why a doctor charges quite a steep sum is because he pays quite a high overhead on rental and his secretary's wages, not to mention the money he (or his parents) already spent for his education. I wish we had a subject that teaches us how to manage our practice.

Ok, break time is up. I'm back to my homework.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, wanna exchange links with me? Kindly check my blog and tell me if you are interested. If you do, just add my blog in your blog roll and leave me a message with your URL and link. I will add you immediately once I receive your message. Thanks.