Pages

Coffee Break ver. 1.28

This week's coffee break question by Jan: How much sleep is enough to keep you rejuvenated for the next day?

Hmmm, I never really thought about that. I do not count my sleep in the number of hours I sleep at a stretch, because sometimes I feel I do not get to do that anymore.

When I was in medical school, and then later when I became a medical clerk, then an intern, I realize that I no longer have a fixed sleeping schedule. So I just sleep whenever and wherever. Catnaps were my savior. I can sleep for a few minutes standing up (but leaning on a wall, that is) if I am really very tired. I sleep in the car or public transportation (very dangerous, I know, but when you're really very tired, you just can't help it). I sleep on hard benches in the call room during the times that there are no patients who need my attention (we had 36 hour duties, and I do not believe I can go the whole distance without snatching some sleep in between).

Now that I'm a mom, I find my sleep is dictated by what my son needs. When he was a newborn, he's awake at night and asleep most of the day, so my body rhythm adjusted to him. Meaning, I sleep when he sleeps, even if it's daytime, so that I can be awake when he is awake. Now, he's bigger and sleeps through the night, so I can do stuff like blogging whenever he's asleep, like now, :).

So, to answer the question, there is no set hours really. I sleep when I feel tired already and wake up naturally or wake up when needed.

0 comments: