Pages

Why we still live with our parents

In my mailing list, there are some discussions about living with parents and/or in-laws after getting married. There were various points being brought forth. A lot took the stand that the couple should have a separate household after getting married. We decided to live with our mothers (mine on weekdays, his on weekends) with all the attendant drawbacks of that decision because of the following:

  • We are saving up to buy our own house someday. Living rent-free would make the process easier and faster.
  • We have built in babysitters for our son whenever we need to both be out. For that matter, I could work without worrying about leaving my son because the grandmothers are very good in taking care of him.
  • My son brings a lot of joy to his grandmothers. They love to see him all the time.
  • We don't have to worry about the weekly visit to grandmothers and the tug of war about where to bring him this weekend.
  • I don't NEED to be a stay at home mom. I love my work. Although my son is my priority, I'd rather work than stay at home. I'm bad with household chores.
  • An additional bonus is that my mother's place is just a mere 10-20 minutes away from both our clinics. We can't find another place that we can afford in the immediate vicinity. This proximity saves fuel.
  • We share in expenses. Further savings for us.
  • Our income is erratic at this point. That's the problem with being self employed AND a doctor in the Philippines. It's pretty hard to predict whether we can maintain a monthly rental or amortization at the present time. In short, we can't afford it.
These are the things that come into mind. Of course, we sometimes long for the independence of having our own place, making our own decisions...but we're willing to forego these in the meantime. But eventually, we'll be getting our place. This arrangement won't be forever.

4 comments:

The Wifey's Journal said...

I totally agree with you! Purchasing a house of our own is our project hopefully by the end of this year or next. It really helps us big time because instead of shelling out some moolah for the rent, we get to save it.

theworkingmom said...

That's right! Yun nga lang, you do have to live with the drawbacks, which I feel are actually minor.

Jane said...

hi joey! naku, we've been living on our own ever since we got married and i tell you, super gastos talaga. somtimes i envy my other friends who still live with their parents coz of financial reasons but sila naman would do anything to get to move out. o diba?

btw, please update my blogpsot link to http://mommyhoodandme.com. moved it na . thanks

theworkingmom said...

Hi, Jane! I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. LOL! Will update your link :)