Pages

Kung Hei Fat Choy!

Today marks the first day of the New Year in the Chinese calendar, so to all my friends, whether Chinese or non-Chinese, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

We always have dinner at my grandmother's house during the eve of Chinese New Year. It also serves as a reunion for family members. Last night was no exception. My son received "ang paos" (red envelopes containing money) from the elders (my grandmother, my mother, my uncles and aunts). This is a tradition we always look forward to when we were children and later, as unmarried adults.

My mother brought my son to the shopping center, and they were lucky enough to catch a dragon dance.

My grandmother and mother are doing the rounds of the temples this morning. For me, it's still a clinic day, as Chinese New Year is not a public holiday here in the Philippines, unlike in China, Taiwan or Hongkong.

I'm going to wear a red blouse, as this is considered a lucky color for Chinese. A little good luck never hurts, right? :)

2 comments:

Rocks said...

hi joey! happy chinese new year! know what? that's what I've been asking my office mates this morning? why isn't holiday today? ramadan of muslims is holiday right? so why not give our chinese people an honor too by doing this a holiday?

para madaming holiday di ba?

happy blogging!

theworkingmom said...

Thanks Rocks! Naisip ko rin yan :). When we were in elem and HS, Chinese New Year were no-class days (Chinese school kasi) but when I graduated and went na to UST, may pasok na LOL